Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Daddy's birthday...

Jonathan subtly let us know this morning that he'd like a cake for his birthday. :-) I was planning to make him one...his favorite - a boxed chocolate cake with white icing. The girls were more than excited to help me make it. Emma was really worried I would make it without her, since she had a playdate planned this afternoon. I assured her I would wait! :-) I was trying to get my make-up on and finish getting ready for the day while the girls were coloring. It got quiet, as it does sometimes, and I began to look for the girls. They were in the corner of the family room just looking up at me. Emma was sitting with her hands behind her back and Kate was standing there just looking at me. I asked Emma what she had behind her back and she finally pulled out the icing. The foil was peeled off and it looked like I had gotten there just in time. It was all I could do to not laugh out loud. I asked her what they were doing. Her response was, "We were getting everything ready for you." LOL! They had taken the cake powder bag out of the box and the foil off the icing. I'm fairly certain had I not got there when I did, we would have been making a trip to the store to get more icing. But as it were, the icing was totally intact! :-)

Emma decided Jane should try the cake batter! LOL!


And Jane liked it! :-) She kept licking her lips! (Don't worry - she didn't get much...just a little taste)

The girls liked licking their beaters!

And here is the finished product! Emma helped me with the icing.

I really need to learn to let go when the girls are helping me in the kitchen! I tend to want it to look pretty, but it's not always going to when they help. I did let Emma help me a little with the icing, but I had to finish it so it would look somewhat decent. I probably should have just let her do it. Jonathan would have loved it no matter what. :-) I'm gonna try to let it go next time!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't those happy faces working together? How sweet that Emma wanted to share with her baby sister. I'll bet she liked it! So very cute.
Love,
Grammie

Lianda said...

You have so pretty children!